Innovative English language learning at The International Language Institute of Massachusetts (ILI)
Established in 1984, ILI is a small, friendly language school where the needs and interests of students come first. ILI is accredited by ACCET (Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training) and IALC (International Association of Language Centres).
Located in beautiful, welcoming western Massachusetts, Northampton is a safe, friendly college town within easy traveling distance of Boston and New York City.
Since 1984, people from more than 90 countries have studied at ILI. Unlike many schools that follow a single book series and thus limit student choice, we encourage students to explore a variety of materials and choose topics that are relevant and interesting. We build student communication skills that are useful in daily life, in setting career goals, and in following individual passions. In addition to vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation, students acquire the broad academic skills— academic originality, self-direction, team collaboration, and critical thinking—needed to succeed in the U.S. university environment.
10 reasons why you should study at International Language Institute of Massachusetts (ILI)
1.ILI partners with 12 regional universities, including top institutions such as Boston Architectural College and the University of Massachusetts Graduate School at Amherst, offering a variety of majors and affordable tuition options. Previous ILI students have successfully transitioned to graduate and undergraduate programs in business, STEM fields, and social sciences. Our educational partners offer ILI students conditional acceptance, which means our partners will waive TOEFL/iELTS English requirements for qualified ILI students who demonstrate English proficiency through our Intensive English Program (IEP). This eliminates the cost and hassle of taking English tests. Note that to access the University Pathways conditional acceptance option, students must join the IEP, which runs monthly full-time programs. The IEP provides training in vital academic skills such as writing essays, analyzing texts, participating in discussions, collaborating with classmates, crafting presentations, and more. We also offer intensive part-time courses such as “Job and College Interviews Live” and “Academic Writing Live.” By focusing less on test taking and more on English training, our students are better positioned to succeed in their university programs.
2. For students concerned about financial and admissions challenges, ILI partners with low-cost, highly accessible community colleges such as Greenfield Community College and Holyoke Community College, which can reduce costs and ease the transition to college. Other high-ranking university partners include Boston Architectural College and the University of Massachusetts Graduate School at Amherst.
3. There is an ILI partner to fit every student. For example, the most popular majors at Elms College include Health Professions and Education; at Western New England University, Business, Marketing, and Engineering; at Lasell University, Fashion Merchandising, Psychology, and Media Studies; at Paul Smith’s College Culinary Arts; Hotel, Resort and Tourism Management; at Springfield College, Physical Therapy and Sport and Fitness Administration; at Westfield State University, Management and Law Enforcement. To learn more about our partner schools and the majors they specialize in, visit https://ili.edu/programs/intensive-english-program/university-pathways/
4. ILI cares about every student’s success. From an interactive classroom to a community field trip, our students gain practical language skills, cultural knowledge, and new learning opportunities. A combination of learner-centered instruction, individualized support, and welcoming home stays ensures ILI students benefit from a rich and rewarding educational experience.
5. ILI students enjoy a variety of cultural and academic resources, such as the Smith College Museum of Art, Forbes Library, and the Academy of Music. Previous ILI students have taken advantage of volunteer internship opportunities in the local community.
6. A learner-centered instruction. With a 36-year history of adapting to change, ILI is well positioned to support students during this sensitive time. We are committed to individualized instruction and hands-on activities, and we foster a dynamic, interactive learning environment where students feel free to express themselves and try new things. We are well known for our flexible programs, learner-centered curricula, individualized student support, experienced instructors, and university partnerships.
7. Additional support outside of classroom that are free of charge. Our teachers make English come alive by incorporating visual, tactile, kinesthetic, aural, and verbal aspects. Lessons integrate speaking, writing, listening, and reading activities with a focus on active student participation. Outside of class, ILI’s trained volunteer tutors work with our international students (free of charge), providing opportunities for face-to-face conversations with native English speakers.
8. Support for students joining online programs. If students are not able to attend in-person classes in the U.S., we use the same learner-centered methodology to deliver both part-time and full-time online English courses via Zoom, Google Classroom, and other easy-to-use online tools. ILI instructors provide additional support through one-on-one academic counseling, tech support, and personalized feedback.
9. Carefully selected host families. When students are ready to travel to the U.S., ILI offers carefully selected host families within walking distance or on a bus route to the school. Our home stay options are well suited to language and culture immersion, so important in acquiring English skills.
10. Northampton is a safe and welcoming small city. Northampton, MA is the cultural center of Western Massachusetts with a lively community of 30,000 inhabitants. Fourteen colleges and universities contribute to the rich cultural atmosphere of this area, commonly called the Pioneer Valley. It has all the cultural, business, and educational amenities of an urban area surrounded by a beautiful, rural landscape with incredible recreational opportunities. Northampton is known as the #1 small arts town in the U.S.
"This small city offers more restaurants and shops, certainly more galleries, theaters and performance venues than most urban centers dozens of times its size. Add two rivers, mountain views, landscaped parks and meadow walks, and you begin to see why people call it paradise. - Boston Globe."
"I could learn a lot of things, such as making an interesting hook, writing a good essay, and editing my essay by myself. I remember my first day at ILI. I was too nervous to speak English... However, you were all so patient and cheerful. You encouraged me to keep talking in English. I could get accepted to college because of all your help." Han Bit
"I think your lectures are awesome... It is very helpful for work and career development. Thank you for your understanding, patience, and enthusiasm. You definitely all love to teach." Liujian Mao
“ILI allowed me to not only learn English, but I also had an opportunity to volunteer at a senior center that allowed me to practice even more English. ILI wasn't just an excellent language school, but a place where I felt welcomed as if in my own home during my stay in the USA.” Vladimir Perrilla
Register below for further information.
2 Le Quy Don St., Hai Ba Trung Dist.
Tel: +8424 3938 8455
Hotline: +84936 701 696
Ho Chi Minh City Office
22 Tran Quy Khoach St., Tan Dinh Ward, Dist.1
Tel: +8428 3848 2628
Hotline: +84966 703 162